Monday, July 28, 2014

The Cottage Cooking Club - July Recipes


Today, marks the third month of our international online cooking group, the Cottage Cooking Club.

As a group, recipe by recipe, we are cooking and learning our way through a wonderful vegetable cookbook written in 2011 by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, called „River Cottage Everyday Veg“.

The Cottage Cooking Club online cooking group is meant to be a project aimed at incorporating more vegetable dishes in our everyday cooking. And learning new ways to prepare tasty and healthy dishes, and sharing them with family and friends.




We will make an effort to use as much local, regional, organic and also seasonal produce as is resonably possible. With that goal in mind, during that month of July, I prepared a few wonderful dishes from the book and made my utterly devoted taste testers quite happy!

My first recipe for the July post is the „River Cottage Summer Garden Soup“. How can you not prepare a soup with such a lovely title - no matter how warm it is in my tiny kitchen during the summer months, there was no way I would pass up the opportunity to make this fabulous recipe.




This recipe is most certainly meant to showcase the best summer produce you can find.




The base for my colorful soup was a homemade vegetable stock (yes, it was homemade, for the recipe, please consult page 130). The unbelievably delicious summer vegetables I used for this soup were chopped fennel bulbs, celery stalks and spring onions. Then there were French beans and freshly shelled peas, white courgettes, broad beans, orange, yellow and violet carrots. I replaced the salad that the recipe calls for with baby spinach, used tones of Italian parsley for sprinkling and some fennel fronds as a finishing touch. - A dream in a soup bowl!

I paired this dream with the "Bruschetta with Broad Beans" that we are also cooking this month and the "Radishes with Butter and Salt", a recipe that we made two months ago.




Second up is one of my personal favorites from the book – the "Tomato, Thyme and Goat´s Cheese Tart" – anyone who knows me also knows that I am seriously in love with these kinds of tarts.




When I started my personal series last year cooking my way through this book, I made this recipe using mozzarella and basil (if you are interested you can take a look here) – this time I opted for the goat´s cheese as well as some thyme.




The base is puff pastry that gets „lined“ with garlic – I used two garlic cloves, young garlic, no papery skins yet and sliced them before topping the pastry with it. The rest of the topping is the best seasonal tomatoes you can get your hands on – I opted for large sweet cherry tomatoes and a good-quality goat cheese with just the right amount of saltiness and some fresh thyme from the garden – now I do not know which tart I like better, the Spring Onion Galette (if you are interested you can take a look here) or this one…be that as it may, I have prepared them many times, with variations as to cheese and herbs and they are always a huge hit with all my taste testers.




The third recipe goes so well with these kinds of tarts, especially the Tomato, Thyme and Goat´s Cheese Tart. Another winner, the Marinated Courgettes with Mozzarella.




Again, this is a recipe that I have prepared before and that I like to come back to often.




How can you possibly go wrong with pan-fried (grilled in my case) summer courgettes that you marinate with a fruity olive oil, fresh lemon juice and zest and a bit of young garlic and then gently toss with creamy buffalo mozzarella, freshly ground black pepper and a wonderful crunchy, medium coarse sea salt.

Let me indulge for a second here, I do not know whether you have had the distinct pleasure of taste testing different kinds of black pepper – may I say that I have, and I loved the taste experience. If you happen to have a wonderful spice merchant in your neighbourhood (and who doesn´t), why not buy a different, good-quality black pepper and use it in a recipe like this – just a suggestion. Black pepper should always be bought in peppercorn form and always be ground just before using. There are a myriad of black peppers to choose from and this is a perfect recipe to show off a different kind of black pepper, different from your everyday-kind-of-pepper.




The fourth recipe is yet another recipe where you can really showcase that wonderful summer produce – Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall calls this „Shaved Summer Veg“.




You will be required to produce „wafer-thin“ slices of summer veg to prepare this „deliciously crunchy and gorgeously colorful salad“. For the dressing you need English mustard (I have made a habit of always using Dijon mustard in the recipes), clear organic honey, lemon juice, a light olive oil, sea salt and that freshly ground black pepper.




The vegetables I chose were kohlrabi, green and white courgettes, yellow, orange and violet carrots and little red radishes – I could not find fresh yellow beets for the life of me, impossible to get those around here but the colorful carrots and radishes more than made up for that fact. I added some red beet cress though – we enjoy the peppery sharpness of the cress together with the crunch of the shaved veg and that creamy, mustardy dressing.




So, now I am halfway through my recipes this month and I need a short break in order to contemplate the elderberries on my elder bush in our garden. Every time I look at them, they remind me of my beloved grand-mother and her garden and her elder bush and the syrup she used to make every year – it had the most amazing deep-burgundy color and was always kept downstairs (“im Keller“) until winter time when you needed a bit something healthy to boost your immune system. So there it goes – no recipe yet. Not that you really need another recipe though.




Onto the „green recipe“ for the month of July, namely the „Bruschetta with Broad Beans and Asparagus“ (or French beans in my case).




The recipe is for beans or asparagus – alas no more asparagus to be had anywhere – so it was French beans and lovely broad beans (the girls are getting to be real masters at cleaning and prepping them), together with spring onions and goat cheese. Instead of rubbing the grilled sourdough bread with garlic, I carefully sautéed some very thin slices of garlic and added them to the bean-cheese mixture.




No need to say more - we loved this recipe to crumbs and pieces.




The next recipe needed a bit of an experienced fresh-tomato-pasta-sauce-person. A bit. The amount of the tomatoes I used was way more than the recipe for the „Pasta with Raw Tomato“ calls for.




That´s when that lovely thing called „scale“ comes in handy – the 750 grams were quickly doubled at the store – no reason not to, they are abundant these days, so much so, you cannot not buy more than you need.




I used two kinds of tomatoes for the sauce. The bright red ones and my newly-found favorite kind for cooking and for making salads, the zebra tomatoes – these beauties hail from Belgium, Flanders to be exact and I am quite partial to that region anyways. But I digress. The recipe is otherwise quite nice and summery.




You make the summery sauce, using the skinned and seeded tomatoes (a bit of a mess, I must admit), more young garlic, chili, capers, sea salt, black pepper and a ton of torn, fresh basil leaves – I will admit to adding quite a bit of fresh oregano to the sauce  – perfect. By the way, if you can get your hands on the tiny capers called Capperi di Lipari sotto sale, use these but make sure to rinse off the salt and dry carefully before using in this sauce. Lots of fresh herbs and delightfully pungent capers can make all the difference.




Instead of making the „Panzanella“ that most participants had signed up for, I opted for a recipe from last month, the „Lettuce, Spring Onion and Cheese Tart“. After all, we would like to have all thirty recipes done after the third month and this is definitely a recipe that I wanted to try.




Lovely pastry with butter, flour, salt and milk – no eggs. I chose my wonderful French tart pan with high edges – for the more dramatic look, of course.




The filling consists of little gem lettuce hearts – pan-fried. Then spring onions, cheese, fresh eggs, double cream, milk, pepper and salt (I added some freshly ground nutmeg). Definitely the most labor-intensive recipe but also certainly worth making.

I loved the use of pan-fried lettuce – I often throw lettuce in my wok or soup and certainly appreciate cooking with different kinds of salad. I did serve red currants alongside, yes, fruit – it was a wonderful change to the usual side salads these days and it added some wonderful tartness, not to mention color, to the plate – besides, the talented author of this book recently (October, 2013)  penned another wonderful cookbook called „River Cottage Fruit Every Day!“. The recipes in that book combine fruits and berries with savory foods – I have tried a few recipes from that book and love the concept. Oh, the possibilities...




Speaking of savory, one more savory recipe to go. The easy-peesy „Chargrilled Summer Veg“. Of course, I would not be me if I had not made a lot of these before – the proof can be found here. And, yes, I did get a tad inspired by the recipe. You all know that I seem to have way too much time on my hands so I chargrilled white asparagus a while back and made an absolutely delightful Salad of Chargrilled White Asparagus with a Bacon and Caper Dressing with this. I do not think that I need to post a recipe for the dressing – just use your favorite dressing to make your chargrilled veg be part of your summer salads – we all have a favorite, I am sure.




So, in order to gild the lily with all those wonderful recipes, it was time to make some veg ice cream for dessert. I opted for the pea ice cream sans mint (being rather German not British) because I am totally crazy about peas and because two or three of my fellow CCC bloggers had already opted for equally intriguing sounding Chocolate Beet Ice Cream.

Who knew that my kids would absolutely adore fresh summer Pea Ice Cream?! This was the best – although a tad time consuming to prepare because I used fresh peas (no, not frozen, not canned or anything else). Now, I have made this twice – this time I did leave a bit of texture with tiny specks of incredibly bright green peas and served it with champagne currrants and  the best pistachio oil I have ever tasted, ever. And, yes, I use the real pistachio oil, bright green, healthy, and all and from my local oil mill - not the pistachio-infused one. And, yes, I paired oil with ice cream.




We are in love. Unfortunately, none left.




Please note, that for copyright reasons, we do NOT publish the recipes. I would like to point out that you should make sure to follow the rules on this EVEN if you chose to change or adjust an ingredient or two or the title of the recipe. For more information on the participation rules, please go here.

To see which wonderful dishes the other members of the Cottage Cooking Club prepared during the month of July, please go here.



34 comments:

  1. These all look beautiful - I can't wait to see what everyone does with them! ~ David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea, wow! you really went to town, love all the recipes you showcased here, fantastic pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheri, thank you - this month was pure and utter vegetable delight and I enjoyed every bit of it and so did all my utterly devoted taste testers.

      Delete
  3. Pea ice cream! I love it. That's how you get kids to eat their veggies. I'm going to have to try that w Daisy.

    Andrea, your presentation is always a delight and reading your posts is a treat. I love the way you arrange everything so artfully. Not sure I can pick out a fav - I'd want to eat everything you've made.
    Really enjoying your Cottage Cooking Club.
    Hope your Monday has been lovely and wishing you a wonderful week. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colette, extremely busy Monday - lots of rain, hailstorms and storm warnings - but all is well now, things have calmed down outside - you are making my Monday evening when you say that you enjoy cooking along with the Cottage Cooking Club!
      Take good care of yourself!

      Delete
  4. I must try the tart after seeing your pictures... so many recipes that look even better from your pictures than in the cookbook. You are truly eating well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I take that as a compliment - thank you! Nice that you could participate this month as well!

      Delete
  5. Oh my word, everything looks fantastic Andrea, you've got me drooling with your beautiful photography. That tart is calling my name ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, everything was good and we enjoyed all the dishes! Tarts are alwasy nice and fun to prepare. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Andrea, all of your dishes are just stunning!! I am so happy to hear about the pea ice cream. I was definitely intrigued (though wasn't going to get any made). It's beautiful, and I'm sure it was delicious. I still want to try the tart as well. I'm mesmerized by how gorgeous everything looks, and can only imagine that all of your dishes taste even better.

    Great month of recipe choices!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candy, the pea ice cream (sans mint) is extremely wonderful - I will have to make the Chocolate Beet Ice Cream next - the kids are begging for it - since the book is my constant companion, they keep looking at the pictures and have taken a definite liking to that dark pink ice cream. Thank you so much for participating and being part of our group - I will visit all blogs later today for comments!

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful selection of recipes Andrea! Everything looks so gorgeous and mouthwateringly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zosia, nice to see that you enjoyed so many of this month´s recipes! Thank you for participating!

      Delete
  8. All your recipes are gorgeous Andrea, you have inspired me to add more vegetables into our diet. I am even thinking of putting in a vegetable garden this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, that sounds marvelous - put those veggies in that garden! Seriously, how wonderful that you consider the Cottage Cooking Club as being inspirational - that´s what I like to read and it does make me extremly happy! Thank you for letting me know!

      Delete
  9. Hi Andrea! This project sounds amazing, I really liked all of your recipes, everything looks really delicious and I absolutely adore vegetables, so right now I can't wait to go put some together for dinner ;) Everything is great in Munich, except for the weather (rainy) but that is even good because this year I'm writting my master thesis and won't have any holidays. Hope the weather is much better in Bonn!
    Liebe Grüße :) Inês

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inês, so nice to read that you ae doing well in lovely München - Master thesis sounds wonderful and, well, like a lot of hard work is lying ahead of you - that´s where that healthy food comes in...seriously, I am glad to read that all is well, that you are feeling good cooking and baking good food!
      Liebe Grüsse nach München,
      Andrea

      Delete
  10. Andrea, now I really wish I had made the pea ice cream! It's on my list for when we have a make-up month, but I might have to sneak it in before then. I wasn't sure about it, but after your glowing review I'm really curious. Your comments on the raw tomato pasta made me think I should give it another chance - with more tomatoes and better capers. Thanks for all the tips, and thanks again for organizing this fun group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jora, the pea ice cream is easy to prepare and somewhat dramtic at first - color and all - but peas have a natural sweetness, the summer peas do, so it seems like a natural ingredient for dessert once you start thinking about it. I am just amazed that my kids taste everything I put in front of them, in fact I am a bit proud of that! So nice that you are enjoying the Cottage Cooking Club to the fullest! And thanks, again, for being such a wonderful participant!

      Delete
  11. Oh, Andrea, everytime I finish one of yur CCC posts, I just sit back and am breathless. How do you do it all. (You need to delete the phrase "way too much time on my hands". ) Your preparations, your food, your writing, and your photography are just phenomenal. There aren't words to express how well-done you work is. However, every Post you write just makes more work for me, my dear. Now, I need to be on the look-out for pepper!!! And I will google Hugh's "fruity" cookbook and give that a look. Glad you have some helpers in the kitchen with you - as if I didn't know they would be helpful. Any updates on their rabbits? Three or four more weeks of vacation? Right? I think we're all enjoying this CCC adventure and I am happy we have colleagues joining us every month. I suspect this Fall will bring more participants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, thank you every so much for all your wonderful comments - to up the number of participants for the Cottage Cooking Clug, I am creating a new category and we will see how that flies. I am calling it the "CCC guest blogger", giving people a chance to participate once, one month, then decide whether they would like to participate and be part of this great group of bloggers. Like a trial course. It is worth a try - I suspect you are right about the number of participants in fall but then again, who knows. And, of course, that new category will only work if the members are willing to beat the big drum for the Cottage Cooking Club with me. It seems that the number of potential participants that I can reach on my own are rather limited.
      Thank you for participating this month - your Panzanella as well as the Aubergine Parmesan looked out of this world delicious!

      Delete
  12. What colorful and delicious summer vegetable dishes…like little jewels on the plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, thank you - just glad to read that you move went well and you had a wonderful and relaxing time at the amazing Hotel - enjoying those pictures a lot! Take good care of yourself!

      Delete
  13. Andrea, I must sincerely say I'm happy I found the Cottage Cooking Club even to see your Blog, your photos are so magnificent. I love your layout and Posts! Its all just a big wow! Looking forward to August!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peggy, it is so nice that you could join us again this month for the Cottage Cooking Club despite busy summer holidays and seemingly endless laundry stress and all! Thank you for your wonderful comment - looking forward to August veg cooking!

      Delete
  14. OMG Andrea...there are so many choices...I would not know where to start. I love the salad, so colorful...seeing all this vegetables make me want to add more of it to my table...which I know it is never enough.
    Have a wonderful weekend :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julaian, dear, thank you kindly - at this time of year it is easy to prepare so many vegetables dishes and veggies are so very photogenic too!

      Delete
  15. Andrea, stunning as usual! I was going to say, how do you do it? However, I "see" you have some helpers - how nice that must be! I'm equally amazed that they are such willing taste-testers and that they enjoy the foods as we do. What a great start in life you are giving them. Your soup looks amazing, the bruschetta, I must make after seeing this and others. I too loved the zucchini - amazing that so few ingredients can put so much flavor into a dish. Love the addition of red beet cress (something I never have heard of) on the salad - just beautiful! I was tempted to make the pea ice cream (sounds so refreshing), but opted for the beet - I love beets. Should have gone with the pea... ha ha ha. Looking forward to the August recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathleen, thank you for participating again this month and making so many of these dishes yourself - I appreciate your kind and thougtful comment quite a bit. I hope that the kids will carry over their adventurous tastes and their curiosity when it comes to trying out new dishes into their adult lives. I am amazed at what they will taste - no much they do not like - and I am grateful for that!
      Thank you for your support, dear friend!

      Delete
  16. All your choices turned out beautifully! I especially love the lettuce, onion, and cheese tart. I will have to make that one some time, perhaps with a gluten-free crust so I can share it with Kevin. The pea ice cream looks so intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, thank you kindly - a gluten-free version of the tart sounds like a fabulous idea. If you get a chance to make one, let me know how it turned out!

      Delete
  17. Pure ART)))
    the River Cottage Summer Garden Soup & goat cheese tart looks HEAVENLY & Drool-worthy!
    Fabulous. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, thank you my friend - your comments always make my day! Thank you for taking the time to "take in " this long, long post!

      Delete