Monday, September 19, 2016

Autumnal Baking & Triple Chocolate Cookies


The weather has cooled, the garden is turning golden and there is the smell of chocolate cookies emerging from my kitchen - as much as I hesitate to admit it, autumn is upon us.

To start off my autumnal baking season, I like to make a foolproof cookie recipe that even the youngest bakers in your house can embrace and help with. With this recipe you are looking for cookies that bake only very slightly crisp around the edges and chewy and soft within. The trick is not to over-bake them. They should still be soft when you remove them from the oven.




Triple Chocolate Cookies

Ingredients
  • 250g unsalted butter, well softened
  • 150g soft light brown sugar (I like to use "Tate& Lyle Light Soft Brown Sugar")
  • 150g superfine (caster) baking sugar
  • 2 eggs (L), organic or free range
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/1 tsp fine sea salt
  • 350 g white spelt flour (or use all purpose aka plain flour)
  • 60g Dutch process cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 100g high quality milk chocolate, in chunks (try to get "dark" milk chocolate with at least 50% cocoa solids)
  • 100g high quality dark chocolate, in chunks
  • 100g high quality white chocolate, in chunks (try to use one with hints of vanilla and not overly sweet)

Prepartion
  1. Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F),
  2. Line two baking sheets with baking parchment.
  3. In the large bowl of your mixer, beat together the butter and sugars until soft and creamy.
  4. Break the eggs into a bowl, mix lightly with a fork then, with the beater still turning, add to the butter and sugar.
  5. Mix in the vanilla extract and salt
  6. In a large bowl sift together the flour, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda and, lowering the speed of the mixer, fold into the batter.
  7. Add all the chocolate chunks – the milk chocolate, dark and white chocolate and try to combine thoroughly, until you have got a thick, sticky dough, but do not overmix.
  8. Spoon mounds of the cookie dough on to the prepared baking sheets, leaving plenty of space between them.
  9. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes until the cookies are still soft in the middle and the chocolate chunks molten and gooey. NOTE: they will be really soft at this point, but will firm up as they cool, so leave them undisturbed on their baking sheets for three or four minutes to settle, then transfer to a cooling rack until they are at room temperature. They are best eaten warm, but they will keep for several days in a cookie tin. But no batch has ever been known to last till the next day in our house and, inevitably, most times they will be eaten as soon as they are cool enough not to burn fingers.




The combination of white sugar and soft brown sugar is a common one: the former adds some crunch, the latter a caramel flavor. I prefer to use super fine baking sugar (caster sugar) and soft light brown sugar rather than granulated because I like a cookie with less of a crunchy edge, if you prefer a cookie with crispier edges, than, by all means, use a granulated sugar with larger grains.

As far as the flour is concerned, while I like to use white spelt flour here, you can use all purpose flour aka plain flour in these cookies.

Chilling the dough before use is fairly standard. Texture wise I like to chill my cookie dough overnight, the increased firmness of the cookies is very noticeable, as is the more complex, almost caramelly flavor.

Go for good quality chocolate too – suitable for baking - this will ensure that not only will you end up with less sweeter, great tasting cookies, but also cookies with delightful chunks of chcolate that melt into the cookies while baking. And some uneven chunks created by chopping your own chocolate gives a better result than even little chocolate chips. I went with a combination of white, milk and dark chocolate here but use whatever you prefer - all dark, half milk half dark or whatever strikes your fancy.




This is truly a wonderful recipe to get you baking this autumn. No apples, pears, plums or pumkin purée involved not even those warm spices like cardamom or cinnamon but there are lots of comforting and beloved flavors like real vanilla, mildly sweet and nutty spelt flourmilk chocolate, creamy white chocolate with hints of vanilla and the pronounced, bold taste of dark chocolate. And is there any better accompaniment to these lovely homemade treats than a cold glass of whole milk for the kids and some tea and coffee for the grown-ups?! Maybe a really good book...Besides, I cannot think of a nicer way to refuel mid-morning or teatime than with one (or more) of these.


19 comments:

  1. I'll take a plate of these lovely cookies please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Alexandra, thank you very much for that kind comment! I would love to share some of these cookies if I could!

      Delete
  2. Oh do these look and sound delicious, I will make these with my grandkids when we get back to AZ, they will absolutely love these beauties. Take care Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Cheri, if your grandkids are like my cookie monsters at home, they will love, love these!
      Thank you for stopping by,
      Andrea

      Delete
  3. Ah, genau die brauche ich jetzt... an overload of different chocolates :-) Tolles Rezept, Andrea. Ganz lieben Dank und liebe Gruesse aus dem vertrockneten Frederick :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liebe Wally, gestern habe ich noch an dich gedacht...ist schon manchmal erstaunlich das Leben...hier ist es so schnell so kühl geworden, da waren einige Dreifach-Schokoladen-Kekse richtiggehend Balsam fürs Gemüt!
      Liebe Grüße aus dem herbstlichen NRW,
      Andrea

      Delete
  4. It's been a hot summer here and I'm definitely looking forward to autumn. It's my favorite season! I hope we get some cooler air soon - it's perfect for baking. Your cookies look like a terrific cool weather treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Amy! How are the twins doing, I hope all is well and you are enjoying your time together with those two cuties!!!
      Many hugs to all of you - and, yes, autumn is my very favorite season as well!
      Andrea

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Dear Karen, thank you for the nice comment!
      Enjoy your trip to Germany/EU! The weather has turned much cooler and the temperatures are much more agreeable than they were a few days ago - and we are quite grateful for that.
      Andrea

      Delete
  6. I love triple chocolate cookies - but, can you believe I have never made them? Lovely recipe, Andrea!

    PS - Someone just gave me a jar of gooseberry jam - is there any way to make a Stachelbeerkuchen with jam?

    Hugs from Tucson! David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, well, then it is high time that you remedy that situation because these are wonderul treats with a huge fan base...As far as your question is concerned, any recipe for cake or cookies that calls for jam can be baked with gooseberry jam.
      Liebe Grüße an euch beide und ich hoffe, es geht dir besser!
      Andrea

      Delete
  7. Would you rent me some space in your kitchen, because I think I'd love to LIVE there! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. These cookies look fabulous and I would love to have some. I like the idea of mixing the different chocolates together. That must give them a wonderful flavor. Ich wünsche Dir ein schönes Wochenende.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Gerlinde, different chocolates all add up to great flavors when baked together in this recipe - that´s what I was looking for with this recipe. Much of the delightful taste simply depends upon the quality of the chocolates used - it is worth using the best.
      Liebe Grüße - es scheint ein warmer Herbst zu werden.
      Andrea

      Delete
  9. I love the description of these cookies...slightly crispy and chewy...my kind of cookies...awesome combination of chocolate(s).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these cookies!! Wish I could have one for dessert tonight. :) glad to have your recipe, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As I wrote on your Facebook page, I like the idea of using many different chocolates. Thomas Keller does this (I think you baked his chocolate chip cookie, didn't you) but he doesn't use milk chocolate nor white chocolate. I usually only refrigerate my cookie dough for an hour or two but I think your suggestion of "overnight" is a good one. Also, I have begun to take all of my cookies out of the oven just before they are done and still a tad bit soft in the middle. Cookies are my favorite and I think this recipe is a winner.

    ReplyDelete